August 23, 2017 - Wednesday
Outdoor Burning Information

Snohomish County Fire District 7 has established a new Residential Outdoor Burning Permit program. The program was adopted by the Board of Commissioners when they approved Resolution 2017-02 in January 2017 expanding the permitted area in order to provide a means for our residents to burn legally.

Residential outdoor burning is allowed with a permit in areas within the fire district east of SR 9 SE which are outside the Urban Growth Area (UGA). In addition to residential burn permits, recreational fires are allowed as specified below in all areas without a burn permit.

  • Recreational Burning — those fires consisting wholly of dry firewood or charcoal at a size not exceeding 3' x 3' x 2' high for the purpose of recreation, cooking, or religious ceremony. Recreational fires are allowed by State Law without a permit, provided some basic rules on the location are recognized.
  • Residential Burning — those fires consisting of natural vegetation at a size not exceeding 4' x 4' x 3' high for the purpose of disposing of yard waste. These fires require a permit and may only be conducted on property containing a residence.
  • Burning Alternative — below is a link to find locations where yard waste can be recycled as an alternative to burning.

There is a $25 fee (cash or check only) for residential burn permits, and they are issued for a 12-month period from purchase date. Residential burning is prohibited July 1 through August 31 of each year. No permits with will be issued during this timeframe, nor during any burn ban. Permits may be obtained at:

Station 31
163 Village Court
Monroe, WA 98272

Office Hours:
Monday — Friday
8:00 am — 4:30 pm

Click image to enlarge

Complaints of outdoor burning violations must be reported to 911.

Violations of outdoor burning rules result in the issuance of Notice of Unlawful burning. Such notices may be forwarded to the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA). PSCAA is the region's air pollution control authority. The PSCAA has the ability to levy civil fines against a property owner for outdoor burning violations. The fire district does not issue fines; however, the PSCAA may. If you have specific questions about outdoor burning, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at or 360-805-0338.